Thursday, October 30, 2008

Harriet Finds Hope

Today our new 3-minute video about child sponsorship comes out. On it, we tell about Harriet, a 14-year old girl I met two years ago. She came to our morning Bible class for children of the Kamwokya slum community who were not in school. Harriet distinguished herself by helping with the younger children and was selected for sponsorship. I soon learned that for some years Harriet had been acting as the head of her family. After losing both parents and a sister to AIDS, she had to drop out of school and take in washing constantly in order to keep her and her two younger sisters and a brother alive. It was a rough road for Harriet. She gave up her dreams of ever finishing school.

Receiving sponsorship has changed all that. With all the children sponsored, they are all back in school and receiving the basic necessities of life.

I am tired today and discouraged about some issues we are facing. But when I think of Harriet, when I look at her picture and remember how she was just overcome with emotion when she learned she had received a sponsor, well, I find new courage to go on. My BIG African family encourages me because I can see that my work is worth all the struggles. Harriet, if you kept on after losing your parents, if you kept on when handed adult responsibility while still a child, if you kept on through long, tiring days of doing load after load of other people's laundry by hand, surely I can keep on, too. Thank you, Harriet, for encouraging me today.

I'm hoping lots of people will watch our new video and that many more people will sponsor a child so they can receive the kind of encouragement that I have from you. You're a star in the film, Harriet! May it bring sponsorship and hope to many kids like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!