Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Celebrating 50 years with Jesus

It's my spiritual anniversary. May 12-15, 1961. A shy 15 year old girl whom I hardly recognize struggled over 4 days with her need of a Savior. Fifty years ago I came to faith in Jesus Christ. I am so very eternally glad I did.

I wish I could say that after that, my record was one of unbroken faithfulness to Him. Sadly, that is not the case. If I lied about that I'm sure my sister, brother, husband or kids could quickly step up to correct the record. Yet one thing is VERY sure. He has never been unfaithful to me.

Over fifty years time I suppose you would expect a person to change, but from where I was to where I am? It's a very, very long journey. Fifty years alone could never have done it. Jesus did.

Those who know me now often find it hard to accept when I tell them that until I was 15 I probably said no more than five words to any human being outside my family. I was so shy, so fearful of being rejected. My dream in life was to be popular--me, who spent the whole eighth grade plotting to say "hi" to a fellow classmate, and never did get up the courage to do so. Me, who went to every dance and always sat on the side by myself, never dancing and never speaking to anyone the whole time.

How did Jesus change all that? First, in Him I found acceptance and security. Those powerful feelings began to take deep root in my heart. Then, I began to focus on Him and not myself. It was a lot better focus, believe me. The combination of those two things enabled me to gradually begin to reach out to other people.

Another aspect I think was that Jesus gave me a purpose for living. I quickly forgot about my dreams of being popular (never made it to that, but that's OK). I began to understand that He had good plans for me, and that my life was important in His big plan. As I began to focus on His big plan, my life gained significance.

My childhood and adolescence was pretty painful, excruciatingly lonely. Yet God has used those experiences to good advantage. Now as I work on behalf of African children, my heart is always drawn to the outcast, to the hurting. I may not have been adducted like some of the children we serve. I have never slept on the street or been forced into prostitution or slavery. But I do understand emotional pain, and I am always deeply touched by it. It has enabled me to serve more effectively, and although in my job I am exposed to more human suffering that I could bear in myself, somehow Jesus uses the pain of my past to help me bring His healing to others. So even my deepest sufferings have been redeemed. I am so thankful.

I have to admit that my Christian life has been up and down. I certainly am no model of a perfect Christian. One thing I do know, though. Jesus has done so much for me I cannot even begin to tell. I have every reason to celebrate 50 years with Him. The good thing is, no matter how long or how short my life on this earth may be, there is plenty more to celebrate!

1 comment:

  1. Lorella,
    I appreciate your testimony, and anyone who says that the Christian life doesn't have ups and downs hasn't experienced the Christian life. Your story of childhood is really the story of most great servants of God. Humble beginnings are the theme of many of the most successful men and women's lives in Christ. I am sure that there have been a few folks that have overcome riches, status, and confidence to serve God, but I doubt very many have. Saul hid himself in the stuff, David tended the sheep, Joseph spent time in the pit, and Ruth started out a heathen widow. I know you and John and family have served God faithfully for many years now and I thank Him for your example of His love for others. I'll never forget your work at North Sharon or those nights I sat outside your house in the car with Bro. Enslen praying for John's salvation. God is so wonderful. Congratulations on your 50th spiritual birthday, God Bless you.
    Wes

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear from you!