Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Values for which I will stand, pray, & speak

 
A dear & greatly respected friend has been corresponding with me about my Facebook posts.  He feels my posts are "hateful" and "bitter."  I don't agree.  I do not FEEL hateful or bitter towards anyone.  But my discussion with him caused me to realize that others who may disagree with me may see my posts differently than me, and I admit that I did actively work against the re-election of President Obama.  Now, after the election, I still find myself wanting to speak up for the same causes.   The truth is, I am much more issue-oriented than I am personality oriented.  I spent some time praying about this, asking God to guide me in future posts and to show me anywhere where I was wrong in what I posted.  I admit that I might have passed some potentially offensive posts in my zeal to see America go in a different direction.  As a result, I decided to think through and write down in firm form the values I will speak up about, and the kinds of posts I will not make or pass on.  Since I first wrote this on Facebook, I've added a couple of other things, & I'll continue to do so as God brings more to my mind.  For now, this are my own private rules.  They apply not only to Facebook, but to all public discussions.  Also, I am glad to say that I have many friends who disagree with me, some of them on almost every point below.  I still value them as friends and respect their right to make their own choices.  But for me, I have to speak up for the values that matter to me.  Some will see that I did not list my obvious interest in helping African children, fighting child trafficking & slavery.  I am trying to keep this as short as possible, & I feel those interests naturally flow out of the second point.  My support for the value & dignity of human life reaches far further than abortion, although that is included.  It is that core value which causes much of the ministry for which I, and Every Child Ministries, have become known.  Well, here are my values & private rules.  It might be interesting for others to do something similar.

THE VALUES FOR WHICH I WILL STAND, PRAY, AND SPEAK

Testimonies that honor my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and encourage other Christians.
 
The unique, innate value & dignity of human life as created in the image of God from conception until natural death.

Respect for all people as created in the image of God whether or not I agree with their views, decisions or lifestyles. This respect not to be interpreted as approval of their choices.
 
Respect for people’s right to make their own choices, up to the point those choices do not infringe on the life or right of another human being.
 
Religious freedom for all & discussion of ways we should react when those views are threatened or ignored.

Human sexuality, marriage and family as God created them to be & as a standard towards which we should strive.

Support for the nation of Israel to exist and to defend that right.

Exposing the progress of the imposition of Shariah law in non-Islamic countries.

Exposing the increasing persecution of Christians and speaking out as their voice.

Financial responsibility including minimizing debt, spending resources wisely for the good of all, and emphasizing programs that empower people to stand on their own and not to become permanently dependent on government.

Limited powers of government and strict, literal interpretation of our founding documents.

Truthfulness, transparency, and normal use of words without reinterpretation and doublespeak. Accountability from public officials and cultural spokespeople.

Factual exposés related to the above principles.

Prayer for all elected & appointed officials.

 
WHAT I WILL NOT SAY OR PASS ON
 
 Name calling and nastiness or villainizing of entire groups or political parties.

Nit-picking not related to the above principles.
 
Anything that just complains or expresses anger about those with opposing views without contributing in a positive way to the discussion.

Complaints & demands for recounts related to the election.• Respect for all people as created in the image of God whether or not I agree with their views, decisions or lifestyles. This respect not to be interpreted as approval.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!