Friday, November 21, 2008

Hungry children, naked children

I'm getting ready to lead a team to Uganda to put on a late Christmas for children at our adopted IDP camp. (IDP=Internally Displaced Persons) As I prepare, I am motivated by the needs I observed there last summer. Some of them came to our Day Camp completely naked. Clothes were considered a luxury their struggling parents could not afford. I saw children who were filthy and sick. But the saddest thing I saw occurred when one child spilled the plate of beans we had just served him for lunch. He hesitated for a moment, and while he did about five other children swooped in on the beans, scraping them off the ground and stuffing them into their mouths, sand and all. That's when I realized how hungry these children really were.

It was a privilege to have something to share with them for the five days of our Day Camp. As I thought about it afterwards, I realized that both feeding the hungry and clothing the naked were acts that Jesus considered done unto Him. What a privilege He gives us to have enough to be able to share with those in real need!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!