Sunday, May 13, 2012

The New Has Come

My Spiritual Journey, Continued

May 13. In 1961, it was a Friday. I had made other plans, but I asked my parents if I could change them. I wanted to go back to the church meetings at Michigan Center Bible Church and hear more.

My folks had a hard time hiding their surprise. Looking back, I understand why. I had never shown the slightest interest in spiritual things before. When my aunt had suggested I attend a church camp I had sneered, "Yea, I bet that's a lot of fun. What do they do, sit around reading the Bible all week?"

I went back that night, and again I wanted to go forward and publicly confess Christ.  I wanted to tell everyone that I had received Him in my own bedroom the night before.  But still I was afraid.  I simply stood there, clutching the pew in front of me as tightly as I could.

When I went home that night, I asked my parents if I could go back again on Sunday.  I still didn't tell them about my decision, but I know they realized something was up.  My interests had suddenly changed, mysteriously and quite totally.
More tomorrow as the journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me hear from you!